[wp-hackers] Not willing to summon the ancient troll, but... PHP5 in WP 3.0 ?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Nov 16 20:33:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Ken Newman <Ken at adcstudio.com> wrote:
> Then why not call it 2.10? The 3 increment is a major release, or that's how
> the whole rest of the world does it. It's not decimal math :(

WordPress doesn't work that way.

As I understand it, Matt thinks that that sort of versioning scheme
(one based on the amount of feature change) leads to "version
inflation".

So WordPress works on a straight point system. All major releases get
a 0.1 number upgrade. Minor releases are merely counted.

Thus, 2.9 is followed by 2.9.1 (for minor and security updates) and
followed by 3.0 as the next major version.

Personally, I disagree with this system, as it's confusing to new
users, who are used to version number having actual meaning. But, ce
la vie.

-Otto