[wp-hackers] Collecting de-identified environment info via plugin

Matt Jacob matt at mattjacob.com
Fri Nov 13 18:37:19 UTC 2009

As a plugin developer, it seems like it would be useful to collect
information about the environments in which my plugin is running
(things like PHP version, WP version, plugin version, etc.). This
would obviously help me tailor future releases to better meet the
needs of my users. Data would only be collected after the user opts
in, and they would be able to opt out at any time.

Now I'm curious if WordPress generates some kind of unique
"installation ID" or if I'll have to come up with something myself. I
only care to collect de-identified data, as I have no use for the IP
address, hostname of the server, URI of the WP installation, etc. The
less information I have about the user, the better.

Has anyone done this in the past? Any pointers or suggestions?

Matt