[wp-hackers] Not willing to summon the ancient troll, but... PHP5 in WP 3.0 ?

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Nov 13 09:58:46 UTC 2009

Nothing for WP 3.0 is set in stone yet AFAIK.

It was originally suggested that 2.9 had a "Oh, you're on PHP4, WP will
require PHP5 in a future release" message, but its been decided against
AFAIK.

I'm pretty sure the line is still, PHP5, when its time. (ie. a small
fraction are left on PHP4).

PHP5-only features are OK though, Much like JS-only features are OK, If
theres another way the user can achieve it, then so be it, if its not as
nice looking, bad luck. Same for some code, for example, In 2.9, with
oEmbed, I think you miss some XML-parsing functionalities oEmbed has if
you're running PHP4 (As the code to do it under both PHP4 and 5 is just..
so different). And 2.8 had the Extra timezone beautification if you have
the PHP5 date libraries available..