[wp-hackers] plugin compatability

Mohammad Jangda batmoo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 15:58:22 UTC 2009

> So I suggest ... people are required to enter in a reason why it is broken
> and that the plugin author is given a chance to respond. As it stands a
> plugin could be marked as broken simply because someone doesn't like it!

+1. Ideally, we should give users the option to specify the versions of PHP,
MySQL, browser, etc. that they're using. That would be an amazing help for
plugin developers. But, at the very least, I think a free-form text field to
provide some details about what's broken would also be a good alternative.

For compatibility feedback to be really useful it should be provided as
> a rating from the WordPress plugin admin screen

According to the blog post announcing the plugin compatibility beta (
http://wordpress.org/development/2009/10/plugin-compatibility-beta/), seems
like this is something that's planned: "Eventually, we’d like to gather this
compatibility feedback from within WordPress, allowing you to vote directly
from your plugins admin screen."

--
Mohammad Jangda
www.digitalize.ca | @mjangda