[wp-hackers] Adding an output buffer callback

Michael Toppa public at toppa.com
Mon Nov 2 12:18:00 UTC 2009

> One of the features of Google Analytics and GA plugins is the ability
> to track outgoing links using this technique
> http://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55527
> .
>
> I reviewed the various GA plugins and saw that they only run their
> preg_match_replace inside a filter hook on the_content, the_excerpt
> and comment_text.  This means they don't track outbound links on the
> theme, the widgets, and the output of plugins.
One of the most common support issues I have with my Shashin (Picasa
photo viewer) plugin is conflicts with Google Analytics plugins, so at
least some of them do in fact interfere with the output of other
plugins. My plugin creates links with onclicks to enable the photo
viewer, and at least some of the GA plugins blithely overwrite those
onclicks with their own, breaking my plugin. Please keep this in mind
when working on your plugin - check for an existing onclick before
creating one. You can probably add your instructions to the end of an
existing onclick, but please test it first.

Thanks,

Mike T
http://www.toppa.com