[wp-hackers] Implementing Post Sub-Types

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Sun Nov 1 12:48:22 UTC 2009

I have a theme/plugin in development that is going to implement
different types of posts. These will still be posts, as such, but will
be styled and created specially.

In order to maximize the compatibility with existing posts (and if the
user ever changes the theme in future), I want to keep these as posts,
rather than using custom post types, but I want to be able to assign a
special "sub-type" to be able to handle these differently.

So, hackers, what do you think the best implementation for this is?

I've worked with using categories before and hiding them in the
interface (frankly, pain in the ass). I'm thinking the best solution for
this will be post meta.

Thanks,

--
Ryan McCue