[wp-hackers] Pull Latest Post from Each of 6 Categories

Glenn Ansley glenn at glennansley.com
Tue May 5 06:27:48 GMT 2009

I'm working with the loop found in index.php of the kubrick (default) theme.

1) Place the following code directly above <?php if (have_posts()) : ?>

<?php $featured_cats = array(1,2,3,4,5,6); ?>

2) Place the following code directly below <?php if (have_posts()) :
?> and above <?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
    <?php
        foreach ( $featured_cats as $key => $cat ){
            if ( in_category( $cat , $post->ID ) && !isset($features[$cat]) ){
                $features[$cat] = $post;
            }
        }
    ?>
<?php endwhile; ?>

<?php if( $features[1] ) { echo "<h2>".$features[1]->post_title."</h2>"; } ?>

<?php if( $features[2] ) { echo "<h2>".$features[2]->post_title."</h2>"; } ?>

3) There is no step three.

All I did was run the while loop through one more time than normal,
populating an array with the first post found for each of your
featured categories.
Once the loop runs through once, you have your array and you can spit
out the data wherever you want.

If normal WP Loop logic is 1) Query DB 2) Do the loop and spit out the posts,
My altered one says 1) Query the DB 2) Do the loop and grab your
featured posts. 3) Do the loop again and spit out your normal posts.
Again, a rewind_posts() might be in order at step 2.5.

Hope that helps (or at least points in you the right direction).

Glenn Ansley
http://fullthrottledevelopment.com

Your default loop should still run fine. I didn't have to on my local
install, but there is a possibility that you'll have to rewind the
loop if it isn't working correctly.