[wp-hackers] Request for new mailing list wp-accessibility

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Sun May 3 08:02:15 GMT 2009

This is a request for a new mailing list please.

To date, anyone raising accessibility issues and proposing fixes is doing so
either on wp-hackers, wp-testers, on the forums or in responses to surveys.
Accessibility is an aspect of WP development that would benefit from an
informal "working group" and having its own mailing list would enable those
of us who know ATAG, WCAG and the other accessibility guidelines well, and
how to implement them, to bring forward issues and reach agreement on the
most appropriate fixes.

There are a number of people outside of wp-hackers who are interested in
seeing WordPress become accessible and having a mailing list may encourage
these people to contribute.

Getting all accessibility issues into one place would be a great step
forward on its own. Too much inaccurate advice is being given elsewhere,
including on the tracker, and this creates the risk that the core team can
end up wasting time on code that they think will aid accessibility, but
which does not - thereby compounding the problems.

I hope you will view this request favourably and set up a new
wp-accessibility mailing list.
Apologies if this is not the right place to ask - I couldn't see where else
I should direct this request.

Lynne