[wp-hackers] Accessibility of WP back end (was: Is WP back end supposed to work without JavaScript?)

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat May 2 18:14:41 GMT 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM, Rich Pedley <elflop at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Making the back end of WordPress accessible is something I'd certainly
> be interested in helping with, and I know a few other people that
> would be as well.
>
> I've looked at the page referenced to from trac
> http://www.wac.ohio-state.edu/tutorials/forms/hiding-labels.htm
> and that page is out of date - I'm sure Jaws now honours display:none
> for a start. Moving labels off screen via the 'off-left' technique
> appears to be the best solution.

We had several people running JAWS against 2.7 before release and all
was well. Alas, I don't have it to test with.  Could someone who
actually uses it let us know how it's handling labels.  Ignoring
hidden labels would seem to make little sense.  They exist solely for
the benefit screen readers.

Ryan