[wp-hackers] GSoC 2009 Ideas: Open ID integration with Wordpress & Template Versioning

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Mon Mar 30 16:42:50 GMT 2009

>   In summary at least, OpenID has emerged as the de facto,
> decentralized,
>   open standard for identity and WordPress gets paid to add it to
> the core.

I'd hardly say that. There are lots of providers, but hardly any
consumers, except on early adopter focused web apps (i.e. Basecamp,
and its ilk). Not to mention that you left out Facebook Connect and
Google Friend Connect. Both competing standards (though Google does
use Open ID in some layers of its Open Social stack). FB Connect has
more users than Open ID  has and no confusing pattern for End Users to
get accustomed to. Does this mean that FBConnect is a standard too,
because there are 117 Million+ users? No it does not.

Don't get me wrong, I use OpenID, and I love it. But my mom won't be
using it anytime soon, nor will the majority of blog commenters. There
are plugins that address this already, so until Wordpress.com becomes
an OpenID provider, I don't see WordPress supporting OpenID in core,
especially while the fight over federated login/identity is still
being waged.

- Eric Marden