[wp-hackers] Wordpress in GSoC 2009: An Idea

Hayesha Somarathne hayeshais at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 08:03:01 GMT 2009

Hi all,

During my involvement with Sahana <http://sahana.lk> project I have
developed a Javascript library to automate the process of generating the
Handwritten Character Recognition friendly froms out of the active Web
forms. Some illustration can be seen through vising my personal
blog<http://thoughtsandideas.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/status-with-ocr-friendly-form/>
.

My intention of this effort was to devise a mechanism to develop generic
functionality that could be adpted to work with most of the popular Web
browsers, that provides the facility to format the Web forms to a more user
friendly printable form that could be useful in collecting information in
offline(paper based forms) situations (surveys, disaster situations, etc)
with minimum effort. The collected data(through generated paper froms) can
be later digitized and extracted through Handwritten Character Recognition
module(that involves Image Processing).This mechanism can be used to extend
the functionality of the Wordpress.

I'm Hayesha Somarathne, final year student reading for my B.Sc in
Information Technology, University of Moratuwa. I have being contributing to
Sahana <http://sahana.lk/> project for nearly two years. Recently I got
myself selected as one of the core
member's<http://wiki.sahana.lk/doku.php?id=dev:team>of the development
team.