[wp-hackers] GSoC 2009 Proposal: Wordpress CMS

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 13:43:36 GMT 2009

2009/3/19 Grady Laksmono <gradyfausta at laksmono.com>:
> Hi Everyone,
> I wanted to apply for the Google Summer of Code Program 2009, and I'm
> interested to work with Wordpress this summer. I wrote my proposal already
> and I post it here:
>
> http://laksmono.com/2009/03/18/wordpress-cms/
> *password:* wordpress-gsoc
>
> I'd love to hear some feedback from all of you. Thanks a lot!
>
> Regards,
> Grady

Grady, good on you for considering a GSoC application. I know you have
put a lot of thought into it.
I don't want to sound negative here but I think you are working on a
flawed premise.
I am a Mambo developer and also hack WordPress. Both can have a home
page that looks like a static HTML page, but both can also look and
behave just like a blog.

I have one site, which unfortunately is down at the moment in protest
against copyright law changes, which is built with WordPress and which
is not used as a blog. It started life as a Mambo site and anyone
going to it would not be able to tell the difference.

There are loads of reasons why I would use Mambo for some sites and
WordPress for other sites, but CMS functionality is not one of them.
WordPress is a CMS that people generally use as a blogging platform.
Because it is flexible they don't need to use it as a blog though.

I think that you will find it difficult to do anything with the GSoC
to make WordPress act more like a traditional CMS.

Lynne