[wp-hackers] Creating a user-generated collaborative (i.e., crowd-sourced) project using WP

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 12:31:53 GMT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Mark Cunningham <mark.cunningham at gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2009/3/13  <zamoose at gmail.com>:
> > 1) Offer a select/drop-down with limited choices
>
> A select/drop-down of what exactly?
>
> A list of categories? (can do that with the category widget)
> A Custom Field? (can be done via the Custom Field widget)
> A selection of forms? (can be done via some simple JQuery code, I have
> an example on the Support Forums if needs be)
>
> > 2) Get Google Local info instead of straight Google Maps from Geo Mashup
> --
> > ie, I want people to be able to enter "Target, Philadelphia, PA" and
> > actually get back real GMaps coordinates.
>
> TBH I'm not 100% sure how Geo Mashup works, it's not my plugin.
> Someone else did an initial integration with it and I completed the
> work and added to the core of TDOMF. As far as I understand, it stores
> the local google map coordinates in Custom Fields on the post. The
> GeoMashup Widget just provides a version of the interface that is
> normally on the Wordpress edit screen on the form. It allows you enter
> an address, like you're example above, and it puts a pin in it. Why do
> you want to get the real co-ordinates rather than allow them to
> dynamically choose it on a map?

Mark:
The application I'm trying to build depends more upon what is AT the
coordinates than the coordinates itself, i.e., the type of store or
establishment located at the geo location is almost as important as where it
is.  I'd like people to be able to search by establishment name and not by
address/lat-long, as your average consumer of information doesn't know, nor
do they care what latitude and longitude are -- they simply want to be able
to find the closest establishment that offers product/service X.

--
-Doug