[wp-hackers] Inclusion of TimThumb -- anyone game?

Jeremy Clarke jer-wphackers at simianuprising.com
Sat Mar 14 22:21:26 GMT 2009

FWIW I built a very simple plugin that nonetheless did a great job of
setting a 'post-thumbnail' for each post. Its a metabox that does
get_children for the post, shows the 'thumbnail' for any uploads and
lets you select which to use. it then saves that to a postmeta field
and offers display_thumbnail() to show them (or a filter option).

The reason I mention is that the process was shockingly simple and
enjoyable actually. The current system is pretty robust. To give users
more options for sizes I just added some text that says "Currently
your thumbnails are [width] x [height], click here to edit your
settings" and linked them to the media settings (where I also added my
own option about filter excerpts). Given how easy it was I'd say this
is easily plugin territory, there are just too many ways it could be
used for core to include it without just being confusing.

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://simianuprising.com
Code and Design | http://globalvoicesonline.org