[wp-hackers] Should Monthly Archive Pages ever return 404?

Jess Planck jess at funroe.net
Mon Mar 9 18:56:18 GMT 2009

Problem is there is not a proper HTTP error code that I could find
dealing with your situation. Correct me if I am wrong.

404 means not found. There are a couple of 3xx error codes, but I
don't think any would apply to a guessed URI like your example. Giving
a guessed URI a 200 is probably not appropriate.

Building a useful 404 is probably the best way to go. You can make
them quite complicated and keep your 404 functionality in your theme.
I typically use at the minimum a site page list and search form. My
personal theme framework injects a "report broken link" form allowing
visitors to send a notice with their e-mail address if they get there
with a referrer. Sniffing the URI for some archive, category, tag,
etc. wouldn't be too hard and might be a nice idea for some sites. I
like that.

A 404 is important and personally I really wouldn't want to promote
bad habits of URI guessing by visitors.

Jess

[  :P  ]  jess planck  -  http://funroe.net