[wp-hackers] Inclusion of TimThumb -- anyone game?

Chris Jean gaarai at gaarai.com
Thu Mar 5 20:33:35 GMT 2009

I started messing around with code to handle robust image resizing some
time ago. Since then, it has grown to a nice utility to make working
with images and files in general fast and simple.

The reason I built something separate from core is because of the
following reasons:

    * Limitations on growing rather than just shrinking to match dimensions
    * Inability to cache
    * Inability to handle animated images
    * Difficult and overly-complex interface

The features that my code has is as follows:

    * Easy file uploading complete with adding the file to the media library
    * Image resizing with the following options and features:
          o max width/height
          o option to crop image to match resize dimensions
          o easily defined destination
          o set jpeg quality
          o set format (you can convert the image from a jpg to a gif)
          o resizes png images while preserving transparency
          o resizes animated images
    * Convert a file URL to a file path
    * Convert a file path to a file URL
    * Determine MIME type
    * Easily get file attachment data
    * Delete file attachments and their files
    * Determine if a file is an animated gif

My code isn't clean enough to send out at the moment, but I should have
a link to it on the list later on today. Hopefully what I've developed
can become the launching point for the plugin or core update that
everyone will end up building from this discussion.

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
http://wp-roadmap.com/
http://dnsyogi.com/