[wp-hackers] Re: Making money from GPL plugin development (Was: Advertising on plugin pages)

Alex Rabe alex.cologne at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:52:30 GMT 2009

I fully agree with Westi , let me add some personal experience :

my plugin NextGEN Gallery is by far not the best programmed plugin,
but during two years it raised up to one of the TOP 10 plugins, itS
written in a period where no gallery features are in WP core, so it's
maybe already useless cause the WP core gallery system is
getting better and better, but currently I still receive a lot of
feedback.

During this two years I earned more than $3000 donations (hard to
calculate cause I'm accepting Euro as well). If you donate, then you
can
choose the value you want and yes it's very often something between $5
- $20.

But the most donation are done from 10 companys, which donate some
money (> $100) and request special features, some of then are now core
features,
some of them are not released, cause their are not in my focus.

Support it done via the WP forums and I'm not accept any support
question by mail, so only donators and "customers" receive the support
via email.

Let me add : I've written this plugin for my own purpose, what I never
thought before is the buiness interest, I've received a lot of
requests
for other jobs and I feel if you are a real talent programmer, then
you can build more business around your plugins or you get maybe hired
by Automattic :-)

Fact is, you can earn money with plugin support & dev, of course it's
hard job to get a plugin up to the TOP 10, but I feel if it's a real
killer
plugin then you get after a time your feedback. There is no need to
use Ads, but it's also no shame to add a donate button inside your
plugin.