[wp-hackers] Advertising on plugin pages

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sun Mar 1 23:12:00 GMT 2009

"Heiko Rabe" <heiko.rabe at code-styling.de> wrote:
> You will run into the fact that developers will disassemble
> the entire plugin code to be sure, nothing unwanted will be
> transmitted. Such time wasting effort would force me to drop
> such a plugin and search for an ad free solution or to rewrite
> it without ads.

ANY plugin could do something unsavory. All the things you mention could be done by a plugin that is not advertising-related, and also a plugin that is advertising-related could avoid all those things so as to be a good citizen. Do you code review every plugin you use (which is probably a good idea, but tangential to the discussion?)  How does this make plugins that serve advertising different?

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/