[wp-hackers] Advertising on plugin pages

Peter van der Does peter at avirtualhome.com
Sun Mar 1 17:27:11 GMT 2009

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 17:43:29 +0100
Joost de Valk <joost at yoast.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> In my ever ongoing quest to find a way to make some money with all my
> plugins while still keeping them under the GPL and not charge for
> them, I was wondering how the "community" (as in you hackers and the
> ppl from Automattic) would react to advertising on plugins settings
> pages. I'm talking about adding one 125x125 ad spot to the top right
> of my plugins settings pages. Any thoughts?
>
> Best,
> Joost

I can see how you would like to make a bit more money using advertising
but I have to agree with Tom Ransom as well
<quote>The perception will be that you added advertising to a page on
"my" site. (Never mind the presumed security risk of you choosing to
insert third-party code when I am logged in.)</qoute>

My other thought is if it's worth the effort and possible backlash
(a.k.a people uninstalling your plugin) for adding the advertisement
compared to the amount you will make on the advertisement.

You have to ask yourself how many times will the advertisement been
seen. How many times do you change settings for a given plugin?
What will the CTR be?

--
Peter van der Does

GPG key: E77E8E98

WordPress Plugin Developer
http://blog.avirtualhome.com

GetDeb Package Builder/GetDeb Site Coder
http://www.getdeb.net - Software you want for Ubuntu