[wp-hackers] ajax and $wpdb

Silverstein, Jesse Jesse.Silverstein at xerox.com
Wed Jul 29 18:45:56 UTC 2009

Re: Simon's problem of plugin directory location & editing plugin files:

I think if your plugin file has loaded, it's safe to assume that ABSPATH has been defined, and you can go from there.
For example:
require_once ABSPATH . WPINC . "/functions.php";
or something along those lines. Dynamically reference the core files you need based on the global definitions already available to you. That way there is no plugin editing required, and your plugin can work regardless of where the content directory is or where the plugins directory is, etc.

When referencing other files in your plugin directory, (and please correct me if I'm wrong here,) it's best to use WP_PLUGIN_URL or WP_PLUGIN_DIR, depending on the use case (URL for anything that gets printed to the browser or for redirects, DIR for includes and requires). For backward compatibility to 2.5ish,

if ( !defined( 'WP_CONTENT_URL' ) )
	define( 'WP_CONTENT_URL', get_option( 'site_url' ) . '/wp-content' );
if ( !defined( 'WP_CONTENT_DIR' ) )
	define( 'WP_CONTENT_DIR', ABSPATH . 'wp-content' );
if ( !defined( 'WP_PLUGIN_URL' ) )
	define( 'WP_PLUGIN_URL', WP_CONTENT_URL . '/plugins' );
if ( !defined( 'WP_PLUGIN_DIR' ) )
	define( 'WP_PLUGIN_DIR', WP_CONTENT_DIR . '/plugins' );

I can't take credit for that code because I think I found in on the codex somewhere. Regardless, I hope it helps someone out there.

-Jesse