[wp-hackers] register_activation_hook() problem

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Wed Jul 29 01:15:34 UTC 2009

Yeah, this thread is filled with WTF?s. It is like GOTOs, you can use them, but the language is going to kick your ass for doing so. Well, *you* should never use GOTO and I'm talking to you Adam.

Python is telling you that you shouldn't be using globals. You shouldn't be using globals in PHP. It is a shame really that WordPress uses them so much in the code. With PHP4 support, it is difficult to get around it, but not impossible. I think the Registry Pattern tries to get around it, but I'm unsure whether the additional complexity outweighs the benefit of not using globals.

Globals in and of themselves aren't evil. I guess it is similar to the bad rep that GOTO gets, in that people use them because they are convenient and not for the few instances they legitimately should be used in code.

The reason functions have that scope is because a new stack is created for it. The purpose of a function would be defeated if every variable that exists is passed to the function (would it be the same as using GOTO?, just less WTF?). It is pretty tricky in programming languages, in that one aspect of them is that they require you do a bit of work and understand the fundamentals of programming.

Jacob Santos

Jacob Santos <wordpress at santosj.name>