[wp-hackers] iframe question

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Fri Jan 30 01:44:43 GMT 2009

> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 22:47:01 -0500
> From: Casey Bisson <casey.bisson at gmail.com>

> WP takes it more seriously than you suggest. Iframes are filtered by
> kses even when TinyMCE is disabled, but only for those who don't have
> the unfiltered_html capability attached to their role (which means
> admins can add iframes but authors can't, by default).
>
> http://trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-includes/kses.php#L44
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities#unfiltered_html

Thanks for this, and thanks to others re: shortcode suggestions. I did
find an existing plugin that provides a shortcode to enable iframes,
but unfortunately it doesn't work with Google Maps (not sure why not).
In the end we're going with a more sophisticated mapping plugin, but
it was great to get to the bottom of where iframes are blocked by
default and what's controlling the behavior.

We push WP heavily to working journalists, and journalists are really
into creating map mashups to illustrate stories these days, so this is
an ongoing issue that affects not just us (UC Berkeley Graduate School
of Journalism) but also all of the publications we're recommending
WordPress to. With layoffs and paycuts, journalists more than ever are
lacking willing/able IT staffs. Suggesting that they disable the
Visual editor or hack core files just isn't an option, but I think
we've got some workable suggestions now.

I just put together a mini-tutorial laying out the issues and possible
solutions here:
http://tr.im/dm1l

Thanks,
Scot