[wp-hackers] shortcode for images?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Jan 29 21:20:13 GMT 2009

"Chris Jean" <gaarai at gaarai.com> wrote:
> So, I propose that some sort of transfer mechanism be added to the
> core of WordPress. This transfer mechanism will intelligently handle
> updating all data in the database that needs to be updated when the
> siteurl and/or home are modified. In addition, an action is fired
> before and after this data transfer occurs so that plugins can do
> any necessary changes as well.

+1.  This was yet another thing you beat me to discussing (and I'm glad you did.)

There's (at least) one more major issue I've been meaning to discuss; I wonder if you'll hit on it later today...? :)

> Adding a performance hit of this magnitude just to make a single
> event easier to handle is a poor solution. I also think that it's
> barking up the wrong tree.

OTOH, couldn't caching (and/or) pre-rendering solve those performance problems?

In the case of pre-rendering, couldn't we offer as an option to story post both pre and post rendered; pre-rendered for editing and post rendered for serving?

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/