[wp-hackers] Adding meta data to categories

aesqe aesqe at skyphe.org
Sat Jan 24 20:14:09 GMT 2009

how about c2c's "custom fields for anything" plugin?

http://coffee2code.com/wp-plugins/custom-fields-for-anything/

i haven't tried it myself, but it looks like it's exactly what you need
to get started.

it also means you'll have to write your own plugin which would make use
of cffa's functions, but that shouldn't be a big problem.

On 24.1.2009 2:02, dan.f wrote:
> I too have been trying to solve this issue.  Brian - I've
> installed/uninstalled your plugin 3 times thinking it would be the solution,
> but I still dont know if it is :(  From what I can gather, you can create
> new terms, but can't associate them with categories, just posts/pages/links.
>
> What I would like is a table similar to wp_postmeta, but wp_categorymeta,
> with 4 columns:
> id, catid, key, value
>
> Then have an interface on the categories page to add multiple meta
> key/values to each category, and some functions to retrieve these values as
> an array for use in the theme.
>
> The headspace2 plugin by urbangiraffe is close on this regard, but they just
> have a single input box and its just values defined for each category that
> get used for meta keyword tag, not key/value settings.
>
> But, that plugin does modify the 'edit category' page to create the
> interface, so that appears to be possibly to hook into.
>
> Brian, can custax do this?  If there is nothing out there like this, then I
> will probably end up doing.  Doesn't seem too complicated...
>

> Mike Schinkel-5 wrote:
>> "Brian Krausz"<brian at nerdlife.net>  wrote:
>>> my plugin abstracts that API into a GUI,
>>> may help with what you're
>>> trying to do.
>>> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-taxonomies/
>> This looks really interesting and may be exactly what I need for several
>> different potential use cases but after installing it it is not clear how
>> someone would actually apply it's functionality.  It seems to compete with
>> tags and categories, but I don't see how they relate.
>>
>> Do you have a blog post anywhere explaining how you've used it?
>>
>> -Mike Schinkel
>> http://mikeschinkel.com/

Skyphe.org : It'll all make sense one day
http://skyphe.org .:. http://breedart.org