[wp-hackers] wp_register_script() vs. wp_enqueue_script()?

Chris Jean gaarai at gaarai.com
Wed Jan 21 17:47:18 GMT 2009

Technically, you never have to register anything if you don't want to.
The register functions are there and can be valuable if you want a
central location that defines scripts and styles that will be used in
your plugin/theme. You can then simply use the enqueue functions while
referring to just the handle in order to enqueue the script or style for
inclusion in the head.

So, the main purpose of the register functions is to allow you to
simplify your code by removing the need to duplicate code if you enqueue
the same script or style in more than one section of code. The benefits
of this are many and probably don't need to be listed here.

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
http://wp-roadmap.com/