[wp-hackers] Seeking some advice

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed Jan 21 16:12:02 GMT 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Ozh wrote:

> Ola peeps
>
> I'm about to migrate a site from an old dusty homemade perl solution
> to WP.
> This site has:
> - "columns": (selected) users have a column of their own where they
> can write about anything they'd like, and people can comment. Kind of
> like a sideblog for registered users.
>
> This last feature has got me perplex: what you guys think about the
> best way to implement this in WP?

People are suggesting limiting authors to a certain category and such
-- but couldn't you instead put a custom loop in your theme that only
pulls posts by author X, Y or Z?  Then those authors could give their
posts categories if they wanted.

You're limiting by author, so you should do the same in code rather
than faking it with a category.

(I'm no Loop expert... just my two bits....)

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
<http://striderweb.com/>