[wp-hackers] Adding Google map inside post edit/writing

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Jan 21 06:31:03 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM, mailapera <mailapera at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies..unfortunately neither Geo Mashup nor Routes does
> what I need.
>
> I am now pretty sure I have not explained myself correctly. After seeing the
> plugins mentioned above, I can say that what I need is pretty basic.
>
> My improved explanation: I need to insert a google map on my post write/edit
> page; this map will have zooming and dragging capabilities, in addition to
> showing the default map view, and one key feature to get the geo coordinates
> of the point clicked on the map. I already have the JS to do this, but I
> need to find a way for the map to just show up in the post write/edit page.
>
> The map will have absolutely no use in the "live" website, but will only be
> a tool for users to get the geo coordinates of a specific location while
> they are writing the post.

Look closer at the Geo Mashup plugin.
http://code.google.com/p/wordpress-geo-mashup/

The reason I say this is not because it does what you want, but
because it does something very similar to what you want. Mainly, it
puts a google map onto the edit page. Now, in particular it does this
for geotagging posts, however that's not the part of the plugin you
need. Just look at how it adds the meta box and the map, then create
your own plugin using similar methodology.

-Otto