[wp-hackers] Plugin Upgrade Failing when using Subversion

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Jan 16 16:12:33 GMT 2009

> Basically, I'm asking why do you want to use SVN to keep the core up
to date, but the plugin upgrader to keep the plugins up-to-date?
You're mixing two different ways of doing the same thing here. Choose
one, then use that one for both cases. All the plugins in Extend are
available via SVN too.

Thanks for clarifying.

Read my most recent earlier email on that subject, but in a nutshell our use-case is different. I deliver the code to my client (the interactive agency) via SVN; it is their SVN server.  I use SVN to archive software that can be completely rebuilt from scratch by them, including SQL scripts to initialize plugins to the proper state, so they need zero knowledge of where to find WordPress things and have no dependency on trying to find those things when they need to rebuild a system for testing and then for deployment.

Tell me if you think otherwise but I think my use-cases make more sense when working on a large team with lots of players many of who don't know anything more about WordPress than it's name, and yours make more sense when working on a small team of WordPress gurus?

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/