[wp-hackers] Plugin Upgrade Failing when using Subversion

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Jan 16 16:04:37 GMT 2009

"Harish Narayanan" <harish.mlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I am the one who is a little confused. Is this
> what you are doing?
> - You fetch WordPress (from svn.automattic.com) via
>   Tortoise SVN.
> - Make changes locally.
> - Push your changed repo to this unfuddle.com to
>   host?

Yes, close enough.

> I set these properties by connecting to my server
> via ssh, navigating to the appropriate folders and
> using svn propset. Look for svn:ignore on the
> following page for detailed information:
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html

Thanks, I'll check it out, but probably after this project though; don't have time to become an SVN expert before launch, unfortunately. :-(

> See if this makes sense, as I am doing something
> fundamentally different:

Yes, it does make sense. What's different is I'm developing locally for a (near-)future deployment.  I think the difference is we are not making any changes on a live server until they first go from dev to staging/testing, then to live.  SVN used on dev but not on stage/test or live.

> To avoid any confusion, I keep anything that's
> not part of the default WordPress repository
> explicitly out of this revision control---
> which is what I was advising you to do.

Given our use case, which is partially to archive and partially to be able to recreate a fully working implementation, that doesn't really work for us, unfortunately. Wish it did.

Thanks for the help.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/