[wp-hackers] Ignore Portions of URI

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Fri Jan 16 14:25:56 GMT 2009

Otto wrote:
>> You can do a search, then rearrange or hide various news sources. Your view
>> state is stored in the hash portion of the URL, which makes it bookmarkable,
>> without cookies. So you can send the bookmark to other users, and they get
>> the same search view that you set up. For example:
>>
>>  http://addictomatic.com/topic/wordpress#kmun.dwqo.tblh
>>

> How is that a substantial improvement over, say,
> http://addictomatic.com/topic/wordpress?status=kmun.dwqo.tblh ?
>
> I just don't see how getting hash info from the URL and sending it via
> JS is any better than a GET URL.

For one thing, it looks cleaner. For another, you don't have to be
concerned about whether or not search engines are indexing querystrings.
So you get cleaner analytics, and hopefully better SEO.

And all the cool kids are doing it.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/