[wp-hackers] "Warning: This plugin has not been tested with your current version of WordPress."

Jeremy Visser jeremy.visser at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 07:19:11 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 08:06 +0100, Ozh wrote:
> When trying to install from WP a plugin which readme says "Requires
> WordPress Version: 2.5 or higher", there's a warning that says
> "Warning: This plugin has not been tested with your current version of
> WordPress."
>
> This is not what I expected. Am I missing something, or does this mean
> we'll have to update every single readme.txt for all plugins every
> time a new version of WP is out?

I get that impression too, but I think it makes sense, because there is
always a risk that a plugin will break with a new WP version.

They don't _always_ break, but sometimes do. Until somebody checks that
it actually works, it is well worth warning the user that it may not
work.

I'm not sure if this is the current behaviour, but it only makes sense
to warn if a major version number has changed, e.g. 2.6 → 2.7, but not
2.6.2 → 2.6.3, because they are just bugfix releases.

--
Jeremy Visser                                 http://jeremy.visser.name/

No Internet Censorship for Australia             http://nocleanfeed.com/