[wp-hackers] Idea: Rename the Excerpt to something accurate

Demetris kikizas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 04:49:21 GMT 2009

I recently wrote an article about excerpts:

The hand-written Excerpt in WordPress: What, why, how, tips and plugins
http://op111.net/67

The reason I chose this subject was my suspicion that more people
would use the excerpt if more people knew what it did.

The first reactions to the article seem to confirm that, which, I
imagine, would be no surprise to anyone who knows what the excerpt
does and how easy it is to use.

I think the main reasons why the excerpt is neglected are three:

1.  The themes in the default distribution don’t make good use of it.
2.  Its box was located under Advanced for a long time.
3.  Its name is a misnomer.

Since WP 2.7, no. 2 is not an issue anymore.

But no. 3 remains.

So, I propose this idea for discussion:

To rename the Excerpt to something accurate, a name like: Description,
 Summary, Synopsis, Brief, etc.

I’m talking about full-range renaming, down to function names.

What do you think?

Thanks for reading,
-dk

PS.  If people here agree that this idea is worthy of discussion, I
can open a Trac ticket.
PS2.  Interesting detail:  The “manual Excerpt” was among the
highlighted features in the announcement of the first public release
of WordPress, in May 2003.