[wp-hackers] Improving the mailing list. (Was Auto Update Plugins)

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Sun Feb 22 19:22:30 GMT 2009

On Feb 21, 2009, at 11:07 AM, Peter Westwood wrote:

> If you want to help get your patch committed you need to make sure
> that it is obvious what it fixes so that I can test the fix, and
> join us in #wordpress-dev and promote your patch if it languishes
> (or CC my user id on the patch in trac to get my attention)

Careful Peter -- I think you just invited coders to cc you on every
patch!  ;-)

When is a good time to find people on IRC?  Still Wednesdays at 2-ish?

Getting back briefly to the semi-original topic on this thread (where
to put "support" files for plugins) -- as much as it did turn into an
ego contest of sorts, in the end I did find the discussion useful.
I'm going to pick a method and use it for my plugins, but the
different arguments for why one location was better or worse than
another were a good dose of perspective.

If I had the chops for it, I would put in a system for in-admin
uploading of Styles for my Pull-Quotes plugin.  As it is I wouldn't
trust myself *not* to either introduce security issues OR to make a
system that will break down on half the platforms that aren't just
like mine.  Minor plugins don't get the security vetting that core
does -- all the more reason sometimes to introduce certain types of
things to core.

On Feb 21, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Jacob Santos wrote:

> The "Code is Poetry" mantra is a farce and should die as the
> religion behind it is no more
<snippety-snip-snip>

I'm sorry, but you appear to be getting off the topic of what topics
are off-topic.

We just veered from "keep it technical" and "no bikeshedding" straight
to "code isn't poetry unless it rhymes" and "code is like a woman"....?

Stephen