[wp-hackers] Fix that translated WordPress takes 86% longer to start

Heiko Rabe heiko.rabe at code-styling.de
Thu Feb 19 21:11:14 GMT 2009

I think, that solution 2 and 3 are not possible, because:

2.) Most provider doesn't allow mod_php and only provide CGI based php
processing.
In this case you have no chance to cache it as you think.

3.) very bad in multi-lingual environments. Some of my friends and i too
are running backends with at least 3 languages simultanously.
The languages can be switched or defined by the current user (author or
admins) at any time. Also multi-lingual frontend blogs need
the ability to switch easy the language. This won't be possible by hard
replacement at php files!

Remaining is only your first option: split the file. But this may only
suitable for plugins or themes, where you could separate the backend
part (huge) from the frontend part (small).
The WordPress language file itself will be used 99.9% in backend only, i
don't find any advantage to split it.

If you think a plus of 90 msec is huge, please look at the timings of
database requests of some so called premium or magazin themes, that run
upto 400 queries to produce a page.
They are the time killer, also all of the plugins filtering the whole
content again and again. Queries and cascaded content filter (using
expensive regexp) will consume much more time.
The only time aspect of loading language files is doing ajax. In case of
ajax calls, that don't require any translation, all tranlation file load
could be dropped.
For this only case i would delay loading (only store file names and
textdomains but not load them) in case of DOING_AJAX and introduce a
function
    require_ajax_translations()
that load by calling in Ajax case the translation. This would safe
indeed time processing ajax calls, all other cases are in my opinion no
subject of change.

Heiko Rabe