[wp-hackers] Canonical integration into core

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 13:30:25 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Joost de Valk <joost at yoast.com> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2009, at 2:07 PM, Lynne Pope wrote:
>
>  There is no need to add meta data tags to handle this situation.
>> Search engines that respect robots.txt all honour this, and have done for
>> years. I use pretty permalinks and none of my /permalink?anything is
>> indexed. This also prevents indexing of search pages (which strangely
>> enough
>> do get linked to). Depending on how the site uses these non-standard URL's
>> though there can be a loss of link juice by blocking them at robots level.
>>
>> Disallow: /*?*
>> Disallow: /*?
>>

> Lynne,

Yes, I use that too. You can't use rel="canonical" on search pages, or any
other page with more than one post in WordPress.

you don't get it, I'm afraid. When you're blocking those pages from being
> indexed, you're also blocking the search engines from allowing those links
> to help your rankings. If you use the rel=canonical, you allow them to index
> it, and they use the links toward that "faulty" URL to improve the rankings
> of the page you set as canonical (provided they have (almost) the same
> content).
>
> Best,
> Joost

On the other hand, who would ever link to
*/post-permalink?replytocom=123*?? So, rel="canonical" is still plugin
territory except maybe for paged
comments.

--
http://scribu.net