[wp-hackers] plugin .pot creation/editing

Nikolay Bachiyski nb at nikolay.bg
Wed Feb 18 06:34:25 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:18, Stephen Rider <wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a decent workflow for creating and updating .pot files for
> plugins?  I'm on Mac OS X as I said, but I'm okay with Terminal commands if
> a decent GUI app isn't available.

If you use one of the methods below you'll make sure you have all the
right keywords. As a bonus, your POT file will include the metadata
for your plugin, too -- Title, Description, etc. Just include Text
Domain: your-text-domain in your plugin headers.

Here are the methods. Either:

1. Use the GUI in your plugin page at Extend.

or

2. Checkout i18n tools [0] and call:

php makepot.php wp-plugin <directory-of-your-plugin>

You will find the generated POT file in the current directory.
For this to work you'll need the gettext utilities (xgettext), which
poEdit installs. You may have to add
/Applications/Poedit.app/Contents/MacOS to your path.

[0] http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/tools/trunk/

Happy hacking,
Nikolay.