[wp-hackers] Auto Update Plugins

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue Feb 17 23:02:26 GMT 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 4:44 PM, Otto wrote:

> Perhaps we need to better define what this plugins-data is, exactly,
> because I cannot think of a legitimate case where you'd:
> a) have a plugin that needs to store files somewhere such that the
> user can upload them or otherwise modify them, and
> b) those files should not be world-readable over the webserver.
>
> Can we come up with some specific use cases here before deciding how
> to implement it? What is this "plugin-data"? The main case I was
> thinking of was plugins that have customizable CSS files or IMG files
> which affect the output of the plugin.

I can think of both cases:

JavaScript Pull-Quotes -- would store third-party "styles" consisting
of a CSS file and possibly graphics.  Definitely world-readable.
http://striderweb.com/nerdaphernalia/features/wp-javascript-pull-quotes/

Spam Karma -- would store Spam Karma plugins/modules -- PHP files used
internally by Spam Karma.  NOT world-readable.
http://code.google.com/p/spam-karma/

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider