[wp-hackers] Auto Update Plugins

Jess Planck jess at funroe.net
Tue Feb 17 19:58:04 GMT 2009

Good to know. File storage and server file manipulation from plugins
is rare but I do appreciate authors who use a location that is easy to
recognize and well documented.

It helps when I write shell scripts for svn and rsync merges. I can
write exclusion files easier. Not to mention in some cases I follow up
with permissions changes on some systems... to avoid the phone calls
by administrators ( that shouldn't be administrators..) that starts
with: "I edited my theme / plugin file and..."

In my case ( not a typical user ) anything in wp-content is fair game.
Except I may restrict plugins/ and themes/. If it's an upload, please
use wp-content/uploads. If it's some wp-content/plugin-data directory,
that's cool too.

I have had to deny using at least one plugin that did strange and
unnecessary things inside it's own plugin directory.

Jess