[wp-hackers] Storing Tabular Content in the Database

Casey Bisson casey.bisson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 19:03:23 GMT 2009

How you might save the data depends on how you'd like to use it. If
all you need to do is display the table (and, perhaps, use the jQuery
table sorter on it, etc.), then you've got a few easy options. On the
other hand, if you need to be able to do more complex operations on
the data, such as search it or join it with other tables, then you'd
probably need a more sophisticated storage scheme (such as the
individual tables you had first suggested).

Starting with the first case, you could create a php array or object
based on the table and save that as post meta. Your plugin could then
read the entry from post meta and generate the table html. You could
also simply save the table html as a string, but that affords you
somewhat less flexibility in the future.

You could also save the tabular data as an attachment in the posts
table (which then makes the strings in it more searchable) and parse
it on display.

How you might handle something more complex is, well, more complex,
but I can point to my library catalog implemented in WordPress, which
turns each book into a post and stores the metadata in the taxonomy
tables. Example: http://library.plymouth.edu/browse More info: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/scriblio/

--Casey

http://maisonbisson.com
http://about.scriblio.net