[wp-hackers] Canonical integration into core

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Feb 17 03:19:55 GMT 2009

"Lynne Pope" <lynne.pope at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, go ahead and add it if you like. As long as actions and
> filters can be removed I don't much care what goes in. However,
> if it is implemented as simply the permalink with the canonical
> tag in the header this has potential to really harm a sites SEO.

Agreed, if it is just the permalink it won't be a good thing.  But it would seem having a standard way for plugins to hook in and support the canonical URL using filters would have benefits so that multiple plugins don't do things with canonical URLs incompatibly. For example I could see a plugin that allows the admin to manage the links their site has and another cleans up the comments page problem. It would be nice if those two could be compatible.

Could you comment on the approach suggested earlier regarding having a "the_canonical_url()" template tag with an associated filter?

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/