[wp-hackers] allow opting out of WordPress SmartQuotes

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Mon Feb 16 15:16:21 GMT 2009

First off, there seem to be two slightly different discussions going
on, so I'm going to be specific.

Discussion 1: Someone wants an option to turn off automatic smart
quotes.

Discussion 2: Hard coding things such as the type of quotes used, and
using foreign language quotes as faux-arrows, is a disservice to non-
English speaking users.

On Feb 16, 2009, at 8:49 AM, Benedict Eastaugh wrote:

> -1
>
> Use a plugin. This is just bikeshedding.

For discussion 1, I agree that this is a non-starter.  A plugin can
easily do what is requested, and it is not a common need.

For discussion 2, I think this is *far* from a "bikeshed" discussion.
This is basically a l18n issue of sorts: not a case of translating the
interface, but a poor assumption by the software that the user is an
English speaker.

I don't speak anything other than English (and a smattering of French)
but I think that this type of thing should be considered.

On Feb 15, 2009, at 7:57 AM, Thomas Scholz wrote:

> WordPress inserts legal quotes for english text only. In non-english
> texts WordPress’ »smart quotes« are anything but smart. They’re just
> plain wrong.
>
> Additionally WordPress has german, swiss and french »quotes«  hard
> coded as *arrows*.[...]
> Using » and « as arrows violates aestethic, orthographic and unicode
> rules.
>
> Typography should never be hard coded in a software that is used in
> different languages. Get it out of the core or add at least an
> option to switch it completely off.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider