[wp-hackers] Reference TermId or TermTaxonomyId for category plugin?

Dan Fellars danf at eliresearch.com
Sun Feb 8 01:21:28 GMT 2009

Hi - I am writing a plugin that creates metadata for categories (using
the c2c custom fields for anything plugin as the core).

Im debating which table I should reference back to - the terms or
term_taxonomy table?

To me it makes sense to reference the term_taxonomy_id in the
term_taxonomy table since then you know you are getting the category
taxonomy.

But it seems that wordpress always references the term_id  (i.e. the
cat_ID in categories.php refers to the term_id).

Is the proper way to reference term_id when referring to categories?

Thanks,

danf