[wp-hackers] More finely-grained permissions

Dino Termini dino at duechiacchiere.it
Fri Feb 6 14:57:36 GMT 2009

Hello everybody,

I see there is a big momentum in this list about new features, so I'd
like to add my 2 cents. It would be nice to have a more finely-grained
permission system, allowing admins to associate priviledges on a
per-page/post basis. In other words, here is the scenario I have in mind:

- you have a post whose owner is "user01"
- you have other 2 users (user02, user03) in wordpress

I would like to be able to give ONLY user01 (the owner) and user02 a
"write access" to that post, while user03 shouldn't be allowed to modify
it (read-only). As far as I know, there are no plugins to do this. Role
Manager is kinda complicated, and does not allow to do what I have in mind.

What I would suggest is to use a Linux-like approach: we could associate
each post/page with a group and an access level (read only, read-write).
The owner would be allowed to customize these settings (assign a group,
change access level for that group), while the admin would be in charge
for creating new groups.

I can offer my help in building this new feature! What do you think?

Thank you,
dino.