[wp-hackers] Less than Core, More than Plugins/Themes: Proposing Optional Modules.

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Tue Feb 3 16:57:59 GMT 2009

> But what I'm really looking for is a set of standard APIs that are
> outside the scope of core.

You can do this with plugins, today. Take a look at the Simple Pie
(rss parsing library) plugins: http://simplepie.org/wiki/plugins/start#wordpress
They published a 'core' plugin which provides the SimplePie API, and
other plugins depend on it to do their work.

If you have some API needs in mind, why not start it as a plugin and
if it becomes popular and used by many, moving it core would make a
logical first step.

The only one who needs APIs are developers and I feel we can do what
we need now as plugins or in the theme layer.

-e