[wp-hackers] Less than Core, More than Plugins/Themes: Proposing Optional Modules.

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 23:39:58 GMT 2009

2009/2/3 scribu <scribu at gmail.com>

> As I understand it, it wouldn't be a single plugin framework, but
> potentially one for each area of interest, for example: podcasts, photo,
> video, themes etc.
>
> WordPress would still be about web publishing, but it could branch out into
> specific areas, while still being coordinated by the dev team.

Ah, ok. In that case my concerns are these:
1. creating additional workload for the core team (the more complex WP
becomes, the harder it is to maintain and the more bugs and potential
security issues there could be to deal with);

And,
2. the danger of potential loss of extensibility to end users - many of whom
are developers and use WP as a framework.

Even though these are proposed to be optional modules my experience with
other FOSS projects has shown that when a core team has to support optional
modules development becomes a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation, where
code goes into the core to support the optional modules and module
development and compatibility issues can end up impacting on decisions made
about the core. I am far more in favour of the core team simply providing
the hooks and extending the API to make development for the different areas
of interest easier - for third parties ;)

Lynne