[wp-hackers] Less than Core, More than Plugins/Themes: Proposing Optional Modules.

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 22:46:00 GMT 2009

2009/2/3 Jeremy Clarke <jer at simianuprising.com>

> IMHO this could also be achieved by Automattic/WP.org just choosing
> its preferred plugins and taking good care of them, but some UI and
> API changes to make it easier to communicate missing dependencies to
> users could also be cool.

I could be completely misunderstanding here, but the issues this approach
appear to be trying to solve could probably be mitigated if there was a
formal structure for writing plugins. If plugin devs had a good reference
for plugin best practise, and a "plugin coding standard" to work to,
wouldn't this (a) improve quality; (b) make it easy to locate missing
dependencies, and (c) reduce conflicts?

I'm not convinced we need an additional layer between the core and plugins.
However, if the optional module concept is essentially a plugin framework
then this could be a good thing.

Apologies if I am totally off base.

Lynne