[wp-hackers] Sandbox in WP Core?

Mike Walsh mpwalsh8 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 21:17:08 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Eric Marden <wp at xentek.net> wrote:
>> Sounds like what is really needed is some themeing framework functionality
>> added to the core?
>
> Well the point of a theme framework for me:
>
> * Core WP files remain untouched.
> * Core Theme files remain unedited.
> * Styles applied via custom CSS file
> * Additional Functionality/Configuration Option for theme delivered via
> functions.php
> * Further customization available via custom hooks and plugins.
>
> YMMV, but if these 5 bullets were added to WP for any/every possible
> implementation of the above, then we'd have a lot more theme than engine,
> IMHO. With so many theme frameworks out there, offering different variations
> on the above, is it that hard to just install the one of your choice? You
> can even add it before install so you can activate it immediately. Coupling
> any more presentation functionality (conditionals, template tags) than is
> necessary to WP Core is the surest way to bloat it up. Give me the 80% for
> free. I'll take care of the other 20%.
>
> -e

I had posed this question originally because I really like the idea of
a child theme (ability change the look and feel with just a CSS file
and/or a template file or two) but it falls apart if the parent theme
isn't available.

To distribute a child theme and have it work you need to make sure the
parent theme is available.  Obvious to most readers of this list but
possibly not to the casual or less than technical user.  If a user is
required to download two themes in order to make the child theme work,
then odds are people will get confused and the support load will be
high.

It doesn't really matter to me which framework was included in WP, I
would just like there to be one that I can depend on being there when
WordPress is installed and will be updated as WordPress evolves.  I
mentioned Sandbox in my original message because I had recalled some
discussion of it being included in a future release.  I'd really
rather not reinvent the wheel unless I have to but right now it seems
the safest thing to do is to include one of the frameworks as source
and build off of that.  Ugh.

There was a comment yesterday (2/1) on WpTavern about Sanbox being
included in 2.8 - see this:

http://www.wptavern.com/sandboxplaintxt-goes-up-for-sale#comments

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Mike