[wp-hackers] Ideas Forum (Voting)

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Thu Dec 31 21:53:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:30:07 +1100, Jane Wells <jane at automattic.com> wrote:
> Below are the main issues I think we need to fix first with the Ideas
> Forum. They didn't get fixed before because the forums were not
> running the new bbPress version, and it seemed like we should upgrade
> the software before trying to write new plugins. The custom plugins
> that power the forum were amendments of other plugins, and not as easy
> to change as I thought they'd be. Also, the person expected to do the
> upgrading was no longer available, so it languished. Mike Adams has
> offered to do the bbPress upgrade and work on updating the plugins in
> mid-January. Here's the list I made last summer of things that I think
> should be fixed for the Ideas forum to be more functional:

To me, It sounds like a project better suited to WordPress rather than
bbPress.. and might be worth considering that before spending extra time
on the bbPress implementation.

The only thing lacking in WordPress would be the lack of user tags..
everything else would tie in well to posts, comments, ans taxonomies.

Originally it'd have been suited to bbPress as it was a simple forum..
what its moving towards is a rather specific CMS use which would apply to
WordPress better i think.

Just my 2c of not wanting to hear issues later down the track with the
implementations.. But hey, I'm sure someone in their right mind could
customise bbPress to do anything :)

--
Dion Hulse / dd32

Contact: