[wp-hackers] Wordpress as a CMS

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Wed Dec 23 04:44:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:33:59 +1100, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Peter Westwood wrote:
>> BackPress.org has more info.
>>
>> The activity on BackPress has been decreasing partly because there
>> isn't much that needs changing in it and partly because very few people
>> know it exists.
>>
>> There was a huge spike of activity at the beining of the projects life
>> when all the code from WordPress was imported - the shared code hasn't
>> changed that much since then so it is unlikely to have increasing
>> activity by its very nature.
>>
>> I am trying to keep the code in BackPress that is also in WordPress in
>> sync so that one benifits to the fixes from the others.
>
> So it is a fork of WordPress then?  That is worrisome because "code
> syncing" projects often get abandoned.  If it were a new foundation for
> future WordPress, that would spur more interest (in me.)

In a way you could look at it as a Fork of some core libs, Alternativly,
You could look at it as a Repository of common code which is useable by
all the *Press applications.

Ideally, WordPress wouldnt include these files itself, rather, They'd be
part of Backpress only and included much like is done with the other
applications. Originally that was planned, but theres always been more
important things to get done than rip out the heart of WordPress and
stitch in an Exact replica..

I personally see WP 3.0 as a good time to finally do that, Due to the
changes that are probably going to be made during the WPMU Merge..