[wp-hackers] Metadata Mess

Joseph Scott joseph at josephscott.org
Tue Dec 22 16:49:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Malaiac <malaiac at gmail.com> wrote:
> if we're going in that direction, _PLEASE_ make object_type an ENUM
> and not a VARCHAR. People who are going to use new objects types are
> fluent enough to ALTER the ENUM.

Please DON'T use ENUM.  Aside from the DB portability issues that
Peter brought up, ALTER TABLE in performance in MySQL can be pretty
bad.  MySQL does a full table copy for table ALTERations.  There are
very involved hacks to improve that process, but they aren't for the
average WP user.

Adding and removing object_type's should be easy, with minimal impact.
 Using ENUM is highly intrusive and high impact.

--
Joseph Scott
joseph at josephscott.org
http://josephscott.org/